An official source at the Ministry of Manpower on Wednesday denied the validity of recent reports that some companies operating in the Sultanate have laid off their employees as a fallout of the global financial crisis.Obviously the ministry source is talking about Omanis and the article doesn't mention anywhere whether any expatriates have been laid off.
The ministry has not received anything in this regard from the companies. A company cannot lay off any worker without informing the ministry in advance and an employee cannot be dismissed before the ministry finds an alternative job for him, the source said.
The source pointed out that the demand for skilled labour in the private sector is increasing. There is a large number of unskilled workforce in the 18-20 age group in the Sultanate. The layoffs may happen in the event of a sudden cessation of projects or bankruptcy of companies; but nothing of the sort has happened so far in the Sultanate.
Talking to Oman Tribune, official sources of some companies have also denied the validity of the reports about layoffs. No company has so far declared its decision or intention to lay off their employees.
The sources also said due to the wise policy initiatives and preventive measures, the economy of the Sultanate remains robust and is immune to the impact of global financial crisis.
Friday, January 09, 2009
"Layoff reports baseless"
From the front page of yesterday's Oman Tribune.