Saturday, May 28, 2005
1. Been thinking of getting an Apple Mac. I love the iMac G5 but because of my current living situation I can't get a desktop computer since I don't have desk to put it on. I'm a bit hesitant about the Apple laptops because they run on the older G4 processors. I wouldn't want to plunk down a big chunk of change for a laptop and then a few months later Apple announces that they finally figured out how to put a G5 in a laptop. Another thing, I played around with a friend's PowerBook and I didn't like the feel of the touchpad- especially that it's not clickable. I thought maybe I should start at entry level and go for an 12" iBook. I dunno, is that a good choice. What would I be sacrificing and how's the quality on these iBook's anyhow?
Saw an ad in the classifieds from someone selling a 17" PowerBook. I spoke to him. He claims it's hardly used 1.5 Ghz G4 with 512MB RAM, 80GB HD and a superdrive. He wants to sell for 800 rials and is willing to negotiate. I gotta admit I was extremely tempted. But what stopped me is that the new PowerBooks are 1.67 ghz and have a scrolling touchpad. Also a new one would come with Tiger. For this one I'll have to add it on top of the price. Plus, 17" is way too big for a laptop that would be used almost exclusively on my lap. But if anyone if you here in Oman is looking for one, check out this week's TheWeek classified section.
Anyhow any advice from Mac-heads will be extremely appreciated.
2. Anyone out there using an RSS reader/aggregator. I think it might be time for me to finally get one. The number of blogs which I follow has become too big to manage the old fashioned way.
3. My internet connection has been acting up all weekend. Some sites load fine and others just won't. I can receive email but I can't send (neither my webmail accounts or my Omantel POP account). Can't upload pics to flickr either, nor can I upload posts to my blog, but I can comment on blogs just fine. I tried using OD's laptop and all internet sites work fine, but the email problem's still there. (I'm posting this from a training center where I'm supposedly being trained on how to be more efficient by using the full functions of MS Office).
6. According to this blog's stats, an incredible 91% of you are still using Internet Explorer! Please do yourself a favor and switch to Firefox. Trust me, you'll be thankful for it. You'll never want to use that horrible IE again.
5. OD got me a 1GB iPod Shuffle :)